Tuesday, April 28, 2015

A semi-crunchy mama's registry list

My cousin is having her first baby GIRL and we have the same mindset about things for our bodies (food, clothing, soaps, etc)  When she started to look at registering for her new baby, none of the big box stores had eco-friendly lists for new baby.

I've put together a list of the things and brands that we loved and USED with Cohen.  We have registered for a few of these for this next baby because you learn the first time, right??


Baby Registry Ideas- Crunchy Mama version

Feeding: (Breastfeeding)
-       Medela Breast Pump; I loved that the parts were completely removable and easy to clean, plus I needed a double electric while I was working.  This time I won't be needing this very often.
-       “My breast friend” for those first few weeks while you are establishing how to nurse.  A hoppy is great for a seat for baby but it wasn't super comfortable for nursing.
-       Lansinoh Milk storage bags (the best, we’ve tried a zillion kinds) I suggest freezing your milk laying it flat so its easier to store! We have a deep freezer for this time around.
-       Bottles – anything glass (I like Dr. Browns) I only used 10 or so when I was working, you may need less than that. Breastfed babies don't work off the same ounces per month that formula ones do.  Cohen never needed more than 4 ounces during a feeding.
-       Nursing Pads, I love the bamboobies brand. I have 6 overnight and quite a few day time ones. The disposable ones were icky, itchy and wasteful.
-       Bravado nursing bras are WORTH the extra money. Go somewhere AFTER the baby is born and get fitted!

Cloth Diapering

I have a whole post on the beginnings of this for us here.

-       Wet bags
-       Pail liners - we use planet wise and needed 2 of them...we bought a cheap trash can to keep them in WITH a lid ;-)
-       Wipes warmer - only because we did cloth wipes
-       Cloth wipes - We started with disposable wipes but I was tired of having to throw these in a separate container than the cloth diapers so we just switched to all cloth. I love bamboo or velour wipes but you could use cheap washcloths...they just aren't as soft to the touch.
-       Cloth diapers, you’ll need at least 24 and this is a whole other blog post for sure
-       Larg(er) diaper bag - I am registering for a Petunia Picklebottom backpack. Cloth just takes up more room.
-       BumGenuis Diaper Sprayer
-       Osocozy Diaper liners - for when baby starts solids...makes the whole ick factor WAY better, plus if baby doesn't dirty these, they wash and dry several times before you have to throw them away!
-       BumGenius Detergent- This works for us and our washer and our water...you may need to experiment here
-       RLR laundry stripper - for my every 3 months update on the diapers
-       Grovia Magic Stick for diaper rash - magic, that is all. 
Clothes line and clothes pins for sunning the stains out of the diapers

For the first few weeks of diapering I use all honest company..wipes and diapers. Meconium and if you circumcise are really hard to deal with in cloth!

Baby wearing
-       Ring sling - I have a single linen wrap 
Moby Wrap- good for the fall and for newborns but we didn't use it a whole lot
-       Becco carrier
-       Tula carrier
-       There is also a shirt I am going to register for this time called the Nuroo you can see that here:  http://nuroobaby.com/product/nuroo-pocket/


Medicines, etc

-       diffuser - we have a couple and paid about $45 for them
-       essential oils (lavender, thieves, RC, lemon, etc)
-       hylands teething tablets
-       Smithicon drops (gas)
-       Infant Tylenol NOT ibuprofen
-       Gripe water
-       Humidifier
-       Baby Comfy nose aspirator (way better than the nose frida) 


Bath Time/Soaps
-       -musela newborn shampoo, helps with cradle cap and we also slathered him in coconut oil
-       -honest company soaps
-       -or California baby soaps

Laundry  - if you cloth diaper you can’t use reg laundry detergent
-       powdered regular tide
-       Norwax or Melaluca detergent
-       NO dryer sheets
-       6 (at least) dryer balls

Sleeping (we will co-sleep again with this baby so he won’t be in a crib until over a year old…)

-       cosleeper (arms reach OR Halo swivel)
-       wool matress pads
-       non-toxic mattress (I really love naturepedic)
-       sheets, the miracle baby wrap, swaddles, etc all organic cotton. I love Aden and Anais


Random

-       bumpkins bibs are amazing (made by cloth diaper cheap manufacter)
-       we got an angel care monitor because I was (am) freaked out about SIDS and we love it. There’s a new one called snuza that looks awesome as well we just haven't looked into it (yet)
-       wubanub pacifiers.  HOLY COW life saver

-       burp cloths, I like the aden and anias but they are expensive so I just use cloth diapers (the old kind lol)

Hope that helps...anything I am forgetting?  I figure everyone will have their own taste on carseats, high chairs (we do baby led weaning so that's another whole different post), strollers or joggers, etc. Some babies love swings and bouncers and some just want to be held. Toys, playmats and all of those things aren't usually super eco-friendly so I didn't include them here. Cohen just liked to play on his quilt with a couple of toys until he was old enough for the bouncer!



No comments :

Post a Comment

Lilypie first bday

Lilypie First Birthday tickers